What is School Counseling all about?
A school counselor helps students with many different challenges including decision-making, problem-solving strategies, and coping strategies. As a school counselor, I also help parents and provide encouragement. Throughout the year I go into the classrooms and teach social/emotional curriculum Second Step and Kelso's Choices. I collaborate with teachers and staff to provide support and help create a positive learning environment.
What does a School Counselor do?
- Assists students individually and in groups or classroom settings.
- Aids staff in further understanding students and their behaviors, and provides assistance for interventions and for motivation.
- Helps parents in learning about their child's growth and development; understanding their child's abilities, and obtaining support for family problems and crisis.
- Provide group-counseling sessions for specific students who share a common concern or problem.
Why would my child need to see a School Counselor?
- Need for encouragement
- Friendship Challenges
- Change in family due to divorce, death, moving, etc.
- Poor grades
- Sudden change in emotional responses
How does my child see the School Counselor?
- Self Referral
- Teacher Referral
- Parent Referral
- Principal Referral
Parent calls and emails are always welcome!